Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Harold B. Lee

Ok, so Katie Cullen and I were at the library (yes, this is the second time this semester I have actually gone there, not counting trying to go to the accounting lab), working on our D&C lecture, and writing Katie's cover letter. We were discussing the fact that Katie had typed in "Anorexia Orem" into the Google search engine, when the guy next to us (wearing his full army get-up, mind you) jerks his head from his computer and stares at me. I then told Katie to type in "A Center for Change" which is the eating disorder clinic that Katie is applying to work at (not to seek treatment from). A few minutes latter the guy leans over and says to me "You know there is an free eating disorder clinic here on campus" as if I was in need of some eating disorder counseling. I quickly assured him that we were job hunting, and that I knew about the center on campus. He then nervously asked me "Do you know if non-students can get counseling from them?" I replied so politely with "I don't know but if you contact them, they can let you know or give you a reference." We continued working, and all of a sudden he started making noises as if he was mad at his computer. I seeing that he had strategically placed his army hat close to me, broke the awkward non-silence (since he was making weird noises) and asked if it was true that if you put on their hat they have to kiss you. He said he had never heard that, but did I want to?. And I quickly responded that he would have to provide the kiss if I put on the hat, not that I wanted it. Katie just started laughing and then I had to explain that that's what the ROTC kids at my high school said. A few minutes later, the guy said, "well just so you know I'm very flattered". I was like what? I was just asking a question, not implying anything. But I just smiled and laughed to myself.

Why do people at BYU have to converse with one another? Can't we just do our homework in peace?

1 comment:

Jessica said...

dear whitney,

in the words of your favorite restaurant, i'm lovin it. keep it coming keep it coming.

Post a Comment