Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Grandpa Englund's Birthday

Last Sunday, it was my Grandpa Englund's 82nd birthday. I went up early to my grandparent's house to go help with dinner. Well, they didn't need my help. So I asked my grandma if I could try on her wedding dress. Let me just preface this with the fact that Jessica Balkman is wearing her mother's wedding dress when she gets married, and since I haven't fit into my mom's wedding dress since I was thirteen (thanks to my abnormally large ribcage), I felt that maybe I could fit into my grandmother's dress. Well, I put the dress on and I was barely able to get my arms into the dress, not to mention the 4'' to 6'' gap in the back. I made the joke to my grandma that if I lost 25 lbs I could fit into the dress. She said, "Well yeah that will do it." And she was completely serious. She later commented "Well if you just lose that weight, you can fit into the dress." Needless to say for the first time in years she didn't ask me if I needed anything else at dinner.

Round 2 of my evening happened at the dinner table. The week before when we were having dinner my grandmother lectured us about politics. I'm serious, she made us read this republican propaganda because she knows my cousin isn't a republican. I made a joke this week about how we wouldn't have a lecture on politics. Then, all of my aunts and uncles preceeded to talk about Barack and Hillary for the rest of the meal. While my cousin Jordan and I just sat and laughed and ate all of the pot roast and bacon.

Round 3 happened when I was using the bathroom, and my grandpa walked in on me. There are two doors into the bathroom; one from the family room/walkway and one from the side bedroom. I locked the door to the family room, but didn't think to lock the bedroom door. All of a sudden someone started jiggling the door handle, and I said "I'll be just a minute". Then there was silence, and my grandpa opened the side door. The funny thing was, is that I wasn't embarrassed at all, but I think my grandpa was.

Round 4, seriously there are four rounds. I didn't realize there were four rounds until my cousin Jordan mentioned how my uncle hadn't talked to the two of us the entire time we were there. Literally, didn't say anything to Jordan, and just said "Hi, Whitney". When Jordan said goodbye to him, he didn't even look up. I decided to give him a hug, because I think if you are going to at least pretend to be my family, I'm going to treat you like it. My uncle put his hand out for me to shake it, and I just stood there with my arms open for a hug. He leaned forward, and I thought he was going to hug me while he was still seated. So I leaned forward, but he stood up, right into my shoulder. I ended knocking his glasses almost off his face. He was so angry, but he tried to hide it. And then some how I ended knocking him down back onto the seat. He wasn't happy about that either. But I guess that's the karma he gets.

Happy 82nd Birthday Grandpa!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHHHAHAHA i was CRACKING UP at round 4 because I can totally picture it! fyi i am stalking your blog.

Post a Comment