A couple of weeks ago, I went in for my routine dentist checkup and I was told I needed six fillings. 6. But don't worry, I haven't been going crazy with the candy. Apparently, my teeth are too cavernous; my ridges too deep.
Now if you're like me, you'll think that's just a bunch of crap made up to get money out of someone. But this is the 3rd dentist who has told me this. So I did what any self-respecting person with insurance would do, and I scheduled to have them all filled at once.
When I showed up for my appointment I was told that they only had time to fill four of them that day. Why was this an issue? Now I had to go back again instead of sleeping in my next day off and by sleeping in I mean at least 10:00 am. We went ahead and they numbed the entire left side of my face (I have to have the block numbing because the localized Novocain doesn't work for me).
The doctor walked in and started talking to his assistance about the root canal he was working on the in other room. The young boy's tonsils were so swollen they were worried his airway was going to close. He sat down next to me and I said "You don't have to worry, I don't have tonsils". He was amazed to find out that I had mine removed when I was five.
He finished all four within 20 minutes. I walked out of the office to pay my co-pay and I was hit with a $250.00 bill. You read that right. I nonchalantly asked "So my insurance didn't cover any of it?" as not to appear poor. "Oh no," said the male receptionist who doesn't know he's gay "your insurance will only cover the cost of the metal fillings and the $250 is the amount remaining to cover the rest for the white fillings."
Awesome.
Don't worry, I still have two more to fill and pay for.

No comments:
Post a Comment