Every Friday night is date night. Except now that we are married and don't need to impress each other with witty stories and marathon nights, it usually just ends up being just dinner (at Carl's Jr., Smokehouse, Zupas, or Slab Pizza).
Last night I had the idea to go to dinner and then drive the Alpine Loop. Nate quickly shot me down because he had "too much homework". Once he realized my disappointment at the only idea I've had in months that I actually wanted to do, he stated "I bet it's not even open because of the shut down and the state parks...".
So I helped him with his homework, which included posting posters about the pro bono clinic UVU was sponsoring. We spent almost an hour on Friday night running around to the different government buildings.
The cherry on top was the last stop on our "tour". The fourth district court. When you walk in the door you are handed a plastic bin and told to put anything metal in it and walk through the metal detector. There were four (yes four) security guards standing at the metal detector watching us empty our pockets and walk through. I had already emptied my pockets and was taking my sweatshirt off (I think I've been to the airport too many times) before Nate had time to reach for the bin. As I'm walking towards the detector the cop holds up my keys by my pocket knife and says "Are you planning on bringing this with you?!". I responded "Yes" and kept walking. He said "You can't". I thought he was joking and stated "What am I going to do with it?! Stab someone." Nate picking up on the fact that I couldn't go in with it and that I wasn't understanding said "Yeah, you can't bring that in". I told the officer "Well, can you just hold it for me and I'll get it from you when I leave?". "No!" answered the guard. At this same time Nate pulled out a handful of thumb tacks he was using to put up the posters and asked "Am I ok to bring these in". The same guard said "Yeah, you're fine". I retorted "Seriously?! He can go in with those but I can't go in with my 1inch pocket knife? What are you the TSA or something?!". None of the officers were amused at my joke. Not even half smiles! The officer on the end wanted to know what Nate had that I thought was dangerous and when they replied "tacks", he said "Well if she thinks it's a threat, we shouldn't let him in either". Meanwhile it was 5 minutes until they closed.
I choose to remain by the door while Nate went in and posted the posters. Once he was out of sight the officer that refused to let me in said "I think someone came in here yesterday and already posted those." He then pointed to the wall where the poster we were trying to post was displayed. I asked "Was it a heavy set girl who came?" as Nate's new co-worker (and the one actually in charge of posting the posters and the only thing I know about her is that she is too large for a chair with arm rests so she had to trade for Nate's arm restless chair two days earlier). That question was the only time I got a smile out of the guards. "No she wasn't" was the reply. Nate came around the corner and said "Some one already posted them here" and I answered "I know."
It was such a romantic evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment