Saturday, October 19, 2013

Cut it Off and Make Some Guacamole

Six months ago when I went to the dermatologist, he asked to take off a mole on my face. I wasn't ready to let go of it. So for the past 6 months I have been making my peace with my face and the mole. And today, I let go.
Please excuse the really creepy face I'm making in this photo. It's very had to take a selfie in the mirror when you are taking a picture of your eye. And no, I don't have a smart phone (it saves us $600 a year by not having one, not that I needed to defend myself).

So for those of you who don't know why I may choose to have a potentially cancerous mole on my face, please let me explain. My baby sister and I look a lot a like. A LOT alike. 

We even have/had the exact same mole in the exact same place next to our right eye. Like, a freaking same mole in the same place. 
So besides the fact my middle name is Ann and her first name is Annie, and we are pretty much the same person 8 years apart, I had to cut off a piece of myself that was yet another thing that connected us.

Not impressed? I had three other moles taken off. Two of which were in such inconvenient places for taking a photo, I didn't even bother. And the one on my belly, I couldn't get the camera to focus and not cast a shadow.

Apparently moles that sit in "bad places" can lead to being itchy. One this time sat "conveniently" in my fat roll.

I love my dermatologist because he's just as paranoid about moles as I am. I honestly leave his office chopped up, every time. This time I told him that I could still feel the scalpel even after he injected me deadener. He pumped it again with juice. From then on I just didn't tell him I could feel it, because it went faster if he didn't stop. I read somewhere earlier in the week that if you cough when you get a shot, it's supposed to make it not hurt. That's not true at all, I tried it today. I told that to the dermatologist as he looked at me funny when I coughed randomly. He said that he uses ice cubes to numb the area for kids and then they don't feel the shot. So he had his nurse grab an ice cube, and I looked really high maintenance to the two other assistants who came in the room to watch. If you are wondering, ice makes no difference on your face. But the best part was that I got him to re-promised me the next time I have to get stitches, I get to do them.

No comments:

Post a Comment