As I'm stirring the "butter" with the ingredients, it looked really funny. It was chunking up and not mixing. I just thought it was because it was still cold and would mix in with the dry ingredients. Well, it did and I finished up the cookies and started baking them. I put the first batch in the oven and started scooping out the second batch when I tasted it. I gagged. Why did it taste so bad?! Then I realized, I forgot to put the sugar in. I had two choices: add the sugar at the end or throw the whole thing away. I decided to at least try to add the sugar since we were out of oats. It tasted a bit sweeter, but still tasted like a rabbit's cage. The cookies came out flat, crispy, and sticking to the parchment paper. Anything that sticks to parchment paper scares me. We decided to throw the whole batch out and go to Grandma's empty handed.
It freaked me out! How could I forget the sugar of all things?! I mean I could understand not putting in salt or baking soda, but SUGAR?!!! I felt like I was turning into my mom.
I was talking with my cousin's wife about my cookie fail. She said that she thinks my oats were bad because of the rabbit food taste. Well, I went home and did a little dumpster diving and it turns out our oats were 6 months expired. Yum.
So yesterday came my chance at redemption. I made sure I took everything needed for the cookies and placed them on the counter. When I had added them, I put it away. I halved the recipe so that we wouldn't be eating stale cookies for a week, and if I messed up it wouldn't be too big of a deal. The dough tasted amazing and the first batch came out a little under done. So I did what anyone would do and put the next and final batch in for an extra minute. Well I didn't take into account that I was using a different kind of cookie sheet, and I burnt the entire batch. Seriously. So much for redemption.
Then came dinner and the canned jalapenos I planned to use for our enchiladas was a bit bulgy. We played it safe and since we didn't have onions or jalapenos the enchiladas tasted more like lasagna. Better luck next week?
No comments:
Post a Comment