So last Wednesday I found a lump in one of my breast, and told myself "It's nothing." But like any hypochondriac would do, I started thinking the worst. I mean, what if I had breast cancer.
So I did what any girl would do and told/showed my mom. I had basically convinced myself that it was nothing, but just wanted my mom to reassure me. She told me she didn't think it was anything, but when she saw it, pure fear crossed her face, and she kept repeating "I'm sure it's nothing". We decided to wait a few days and see what happened. After a few days the lump became visible, when I told my mom, she said "You're too young" and I said "Yeah, but I know people who have had breast cancer when they were 20", and she said "Me too." After a few minutes of silence, my mom said "I can't believe we are even thinking about not going to the doctor". The two of us being the lazy people we are, decided to push off the doctor's visit for a few more days.
On Friday, I decided to set an appointment, but then I canceled because I told myself it's nothing. But after telling my friend Kendyl about it, she basically put me in my place for not getting it looked at, I decided to just go. I had to keep telling myself "Prevention is the best treatment", and the fact I have almost every kind of disease/cancer in my genes, it was a good idea to get checked anyway.
So all weekend I have had these fears that I have cancer, because with my luck I should. I completely talked myself into believing that I had breast cancer. I envisioned my dad having to take me to and from my chemo appointments, and the further deterioration of my body. These thoughts brought me to tears, but then I remembered I finally had a legit reason to shave my head, and everything seemed better.
So I went to the doctor's today, and of course she thought I was crazy. She told me that she didn't believe that it was cancer, but rather a bruise from some form of exercise, even though I told her that I haven't been exercising, at all. Literally, all I do is laundry, and that's not exercise. She is having me continue to monitor, and if it doesn't go away in 3 weeks, then we will have to do imaging. Good thing I am leaving in 3 weeks.
Another great moment that happened was I asked her when I could stop taking my iron supplement. She stated, "We told you, in 6 weeks we will retest your blood to see if the iron is working and being processed", and "Sometimes you have to take the supplements for 3 to 6 months". No Dr. Fluke, you did not tell me that I needed to retest my blood, nor did you the last time something like this happened. All the nurse said was to take 3200mg of iron (actually she kept stumbling over the actual number), which had I listened to her counsel I would have been taking 118.5 times the normal daily value of iron. This is why I am glad I have nurse friends at the State Hospital who I can call for medical advice that won't kill me.
No comments:
Post a Comment