Friday, January 27, 2012

Just Like a Circus

In 2007 I thought my wildest dreams were about to come true. I attended the circus for the first time. Not any circus, but "Circus Europa". I was excited to see the freak sideshows, amazing animals, and Chinese acrobats, that weren't legal in the United States. I was severely disappointed. The most exhilarating part was the girl spinning a ball on her feet, wearing a thong leotard.

So when Nate invited me to the circus, I was once again excited to see what an American circus had to offer. We ate cotton candy and snow cones. We nestled in amongst the thousands of parents and small children, and prepared to be amazed.

The opening act was in the center ring. I had to literally fight back the tears as I watched an overweight man, wearing a sleeveless, sequined, fire inspired jumpsuit whip the tigers. Nate and I openly wanted one of the tigers to maul the master. I think they de-clawed them, and I think they only had to the two big teeth.

We sat through a horrible dance to Britney Spear's "Circus" and a strip tease by the same dancers, a dog show that was really a bunch of dogs jumping over things and catching frisbees, jugglers, indo board riders, an overweight woman spinning balls on her feet, two Hispanic lovers amaze us with there death defying tightrope and subsequent falling multiple times, and other tricks.

There were three acts that did amaze us. The 3 motocross riders in the metal ball (we felt a little more white trash after), the Hispanic family trapeze extraordinaire, and the elephants! They were amazing and almost redeeming. I recently watched "Water for Elephants" so I was in the circus mood, and slightly wished I had a sequined leo and matching headpiece that I could have worn as I rode around the arena.

The conclusion we both came to is that we won't be going back to the circus until we have little children. But, I don't want my kids to think it's ok to treat animals, and humans, that way.



The best part of the whole night came when we were walking out. This little kid was taking his time walking in front of us and when we went to pass him, he was one of the cutest little Down's kids I have ever seen. He gave us the biggest smile, and Nate just started laughing and shaking his head. He stated "Out of all the thousands of kids here, you happened to find the one with Down's". I think it's another sign!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Whit! He's cute! I hate the way circus animals are treated too. I'd rather take Sage to Cirque de Soleil so she can be in awe of what the human body can do instead of want to whip tigers.

Post a Comment