So if I'm ever hungry at work, I just watch the patients eat food and then, voila, I'm no longer hungry. It's like a train wreck, because it turns your stomach, but it's fascinating at the same time. I have seen the most random combinations of foods, sauces, and use of utensils.
About two days ago, I ran out of groceries and had to buy lunch at the "restaurant" at work. It's called the Canteen, and patients work there to make money and prepare for discharge. I ordered a chicken basket, which is deep-fried chicken strips and french fries. I sat in the corner away from everyone and ate my lunch.
About half-way through my meal, I looked down at my meal and realized that I eat like one of my patients. I was tearing little bits of chicken and eating them, all the while wiping my fingers and face in between each bite. I also lined the table under my food with napkins, and if anything touched the actual tabletop, I wouldn't eat it.
I always joked that some of my co-workers are one cork away from commitment. I guess I'm not as "normal" as I thought. But like they always say, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.
No comments:
Post a Comment