Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sick of Being Sick

So it's no secret that I have been sick for quite some time, actually since I went to Romania and contracted what I thought was mononucleosis.

It's been over two years, and I haven't gotten better. I thought I was crazy and a hypochondriac, so I didn't let others know of my belief that it wasn't mono (well, actually before the test results came back I told my mom there was no way that it was mono). But the tests came back positive.

It wasn't until this past year, when I was living with some old besties when they started saying "I think you have some Romania virus" that I realized I wasn't alone in my disbelief.

But after another positive test for mononucleosis, a swollen liver and spleen and the forbidding of exercising that I thought I was going to get better. But I didn't.

Three weeks ago, I went to the doctor once again and told her, "I'm not getting better" and that "I am sick of being sick", when she stated "We'll test your blood again and see if you're anemic (and some other diseases and conditions that I can't remember)". Sure enough the test came back positive that I indeed am anemic. Meaning that a simple iron supplement can cure me of my fatigue, and hopefully my negative attitude and outlook on life.

This also means that for the past year or so, I could have been healthy had they merely done the right test in the first place. So, thank you Eastside Family Medicine and BYU Student Health Clinic, for running the wrong tests and prolonging my illness.

Moral of the story: If you think there is something wrong with you, there probably is, even if no one believes you. And if your besties start telling you that they think something is wrong with you, there probably is too.

No comments:

Post a Comment