Sunday, May 17, 2009

She'll Be Coming Around the Mountain When She Comes

I survived the trip and it was quite fun.



My grandpa had pneumonia and I had to take him to the doctors a couple of times, but we had fun anyways. I slept on his couch and was unaware that he doesn't sleep, but rather paces his house and swears randomly all throughout the night, which made me realize where I get some of my distinguishable qualities. I also administered his medication and gave him his insulin shots, which was awesome. He is also adorable and leaving him was one of the hardest things I had to do since leaving Romania. It was just like leaving my kids all over again, because I knew that he would be taken care of, but I no longer had control of taking care of him. Not to mention I look about 20 pounds overweight in all of my pictures (unlike Romania where I actually was 20 pounds overweight).



We also watched westerns and oldies like "Murder She Wrote" and my personal favorite "Golden Girls". I realized that my life will be one long episode of "Golden Girls" and if I had to be a character I would probably be Dorothy (you have to see the show, then you would totally understand).



Katie Cullen will be disappointed to know that I did not get to ride the horses due to the fact it was pouring down rain the entire time. The closest I got to riding a horse was driving a 1968 Mustang. Another disappointment is that I didn't get an opportunity to wear my mom's Lee jeans that I had to borrow because I left all my crappy jeans in Utah. Nor did I wear the tennis shoes that I stole from my little sister's room (that she never knew I took in the first place).

I also spent some quality time with a hobo when I was waiting for my dad to pick me up at King Street Station. He told me about his veteran status and how he has tumors from Desert Storm and how it is all Bush's fault. He talked to me for about 15 minutes straight and told me that he was supposed to be in the VA hospital in Montana but the convoy never came because of Bush. He told me that I looked like one of the nurses at the hospital and I said, "I used to work at a hospital." He asked me if I was a nurse and when I said no, he changed the subject. He then went on to tell me I was an honest person who cared, and asked if I could give him money for his fare. I told him I didn't have money to give him, but I had food. So I gave him my teddy grahams and a country time lemonade and he was off to harass other passengers. I saw his a few minutes later guzzling the teddy grahams and the lemonade was no where in sight. Little did he know that he looked, talked, and acted exactly like my old patients.

1 comment:

katie cullen said...

i wish you wore the lee's. i think i will just have to make you wear them when i come into town.

Post a Comment