Monday, June 2, 2008

Plasma and the Lack of Donation

So this past week I finally got the nerve to donate plasma. After stalling for about 3 hours I went. When I got there I was told I needed my social security card, which I didn't have. But the man decided to "look at my veins". After a few minutes of pumping my hand the man informed me that my veins were too small. Yes, that's right your veins can be too small. The guy behind me told me, "Yeah, think of a caprisun straw, that's about the size of the needle" and why he tried talking to me I have no idea. I turned to him and said "I can handle that" and turned back to the phlebotamist and stated "Are you freaking serious?". He was freaking serious. I thought my friend Caroline was the only person in the world with small veins, because she has small arms. I plead with the man, "I've never had any problems donating blood with this vein" pointing to the fatty vein in my left arm (I've had to do a lot of blood work this past year because of mono and working at the State Hospital, don't think I'm a drug addict or anything). "You need two veins so that if something happens to the first, we have a backup". That should have been a redflag right there, but I want the money that comes from the donation. So I asked what I could do and he stated "Do bicep curls with low weights and high reps". (Katie Cullen are you listening to this?) Sounded easy enough, but because I'm not a fulltime student BYU won't allow me in the weight room. So therefore, I can't donate.

As I sat pondering about my donating failure, I realized what a fat joke this whole thing was. Exercise to donate plasma? No thank you. I'd rather spend the money I should have earned by donating on McDonalds.

2 comments:

C&C said...

you're hilarious. i love it when you write on your blog. i was starting ot think you'd had it! you and i should get together sometime when neither or us are working--lunch, the pool? you name it. i miss you!

katie cullen said...

of course low weights high reps, that recipe is the secret to life.

Post a Comment