Isus Hristos a inviat. Adeverat a inviat. Yes it's true, Jesus is the reason for the season. And as I sit nearly alone in my apartment on Easter (Katie Cullen is the only one home and she is asleep), I've realized something.
I should have bought Easter candy when I was at the store this weekend. Seriously, I'm dieing.
I've also realized that I miss Romania with all my heart. I learned this when I turned the language of the blogspot to Romanian and could only understand a few words, when two years ago I understood about 90% and pretended I understood the other 10%.
I miss the egg game, and midnight mass (even though I received bad luck for a year because my candle went out early). I miss those days when there would randomly be a holiday that no one told us about, and the tramvie wouldn't be running. I miss the deaf gypsy man who begged me in sign language to take him home with me on an airplane. I miss the two person elevator that we crammed 10 people into only to have it plummet five floors and get stuck. I miss gogosi, and funetti, and natti waffles. I miss late night pillow talk and wearing the same over sized t-shirts everyday only to change into over sized scrubs and back again.
I miss sitting in sweaty hospital rooms for hours while I held babies and chatted it up. I miss the longest fall I've ever seen by Emily Lloyd. I miss scala and hala centrala. And Hungary. I miss losing myself (and my appearance) and only caring about those kids. I miss feeling how fortunate I am to have grown up the way I did despite the difficulties.
I miss my scala girls and podul peeps. I especially miss those kids.
I would give anything to let Raluca play with my hair, have Anca choke me, have Nicolina pull my hair, and dance with Adina and Maria. Spin with Valentine, chase Neggie, and whistle with Julian. I would love to hold Emanuela, help Stefan out of his wheelchair, hold Davids hand, and sing to Cristi. Cry with Marian, laugh with Alex, and run with Paula. Scoot with Denisa, squeeze Cosmina, and rock with Denis. Look at my hand with Sergiu, scream with Alina, and grin with Madalin. Modern dance with Ioane, spin threads with Simona, and have little Simona's wet diaper dampen my scrubs. Make weird noises with Matei, watch Monica sleep, discuss life with Murat, and help little Cosmina breath.
It's only a matter of time before I go back and become a gypsy.
3 comments:
you successfully made me cry. i still think about romania all the time and wonder if that's weird. it was only 4 months but seriously changed me for forever (even if that sounds cheesy). love you and miss those days!
You made me cry too. Let's go back. Seriously. You go do your thing, then let's go do a "study" on gypsies. And by study I mean join them.
You captured the kids far too well. Stop it dang it! I realized how much I've disconnected myself from Romania just so everyday doesn't hurt. So that I don't have to think about how I left all of those kids behind to go back to my coushy life. Whenever I hear the song Traffic in the Sky by Jack Johnson, it makes me cry because all I can think about is walking past the big monastary thing ( ICANT REmEMBEr THe NAME) and I saw kids playing and suddenly I felt like I was home. I love those kids so much, oh it kills me. I miss you
Post a Comment