I took my time to change my name when I got married. Like four months time. I really didn't want to, but I felt like it's what I was supposed to do and I thought Nate wanted it. So I did.
I gave myself a year to get used to the name. But it didn't feel right. So I gave myself another year, but then I decided, if it doesn't feel right, then what am I waiting for?
So today I went down to Social Security and changed my name back. They only needed my marriage certificate and it took less than 5 minutes (minus the wait time to be called to the window).
Then I went to the bank. The old woman could not understand why I would ever want to change my name back if I wasn't getting a divorce. She told me I would need to get court documentation of the name change. I decided that I would just close out the accounts and reopen one once I had my new driver's license.
I went to the DMV and was told I needed court documents as well. I asked the lady "So I'm going to drive under a name that isn't my legal name?" The lady working next to her with a mullet answered "Oh it's your legal name!" I replied "It's my name only in Utah. Can I drive with it?". Apparently you can have a different legal name with the federal government and the state government.
Honestly?! You would think Social Security would be the most difficult part. So we looked up how much filing a court documented name change online would be. $360. No joke.
Luckily my husband knows his court systems and knows how to file things so we don't have to hire an attorney.
But I still have to jump the hoops and prove I'm not a sex offender.
2 comments:
Does this mean I can address your Christmas card to Mrs. WhitNAY Englund and Mr. Robinson?
Of course!
Post a Comment