Thursday, May 31, 2012

No Soliciting

Getting married has made me realize some things. First, a wedding is NOT about you. "It's your day" or "Whatever you want" are completely false statements. The only thing I really have control over, is who I'm marrying (for which I'm totally grateful). Too many people become offended over other people's weddings. Between who to invite to the ceremony and what to have to eat, I'm sticking with my dream wedding idea of eloping, because then everyone would be offended so I wouldn't have to worry about what the diabetics who come to my dessert only reception are feeling. Second, I've learned I'm extremely prideful. I hate receiving advice. Let me clarify. If I ask for your opinion on a matter, than I want to hear what you have to say. I have had so many people give me their opinion on marriage, weddings, and what to do with my life, I find it completely ridiculous. Is your marriage that good? Was your wedding that great? Why should you be such an expert?! The final straw came last night at Nate's stake president interview. The first mistake was that the he didn't know if I was in the stake or not. After that loss of faith, he proceeded to give Nate and I advice and challenged us to do things we ALREADY do. Why am I so upset?! Because people don't know me and they assume I'm stupid. And we all know what assuming does. "You really need health insurance!" Really?! Because I knew that when I got my tonsils out when I was 5. "You're really lucky! Nate's a great guy." Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know that when I was dating him and decided that he was going to be the father of my children. "Don't go to bed angry is bad advice, just sleep on it and work out the problems when you're rested". We got this gem twice now. Are they mentally challenged? If I do not resolve whatever it is, I'm not going to sleep and Nate will. Then I will have 8 more hours to brood about it and become even more upset that Nate can forget about it and sleep and I can't. Lastly, I hate weddings. I always have, and I always will. I keep telling Nate the next time we get married we are going to do what I wanted to do originally and elope.

No comments:

Post a Comment