I thought I was going to get away from not celebrating Halloween this year. Nate had class until 8:30 at night, and I planned to work overtime, as not to be home alone. I did however take advantage of the day, and wore a black and white striped shirt that I think isn't business-y enough to wear to work, but considering the lady in the next office over was wearing a giant bee costume, no one would tell me otherwise.
I made sure I left the house looking like no one was home. I went to work. Nate brought doughnuts and went with me to pick up my car from the shop during the middle of the day (the windshield wiper stopped working in the middle of a rain storm on the freeway. I can't make this stuff up!). I thought I would just sneak home and leave the lights off and eat the candy that I had bought.
Well when I came home I found this.
Now to the untrained eye it may seem like a nice gift someone gave us. It is/was and the intentions weren't malicious, but the power struggle behind it is years in the making (and I'm not even going to start on that story here).
I left it outside and worried about all the people who had stopped by my house while I was at work because who would leave a jack-o-latern lit outside of their house with real candles and not be home?! So then I hurriedly put the candy in a bowl and look what I found:
Yes, that is a perfectly unwrapped Reese's in the middle of the bag. Now, normally when food is unwrapped when you buy it you shouldn't eat it, but I took this as a tender mercy that God knew I needed candy at that exact moment without having to unwrap one. And yes, it was delicious.
We had two groups of people stop by. Both had English as a second language and when I opened the door, I opened it to silence. I stood waiting for the regular "Trick-or-Treat!" which didn't come. So I said "Trick-or-Treat!" and they responded "Happy Halloween!" and then I thought "No you're supposed to say Trick-or-Treat and I'm supposed to say Happy Halloween".
Our neighborhood was swarming with kids dressed in costumes, but those were our only Trick-or-Treaters. So I get to eat the rest of my Kit Kats and Reese's.
When we got up the next day, Nate went out to his car to get change to do laundry. This is what he found:
The pumpkin we didn't ask for was smashed and we had to clean it up. To add insult to injury, someone (probably the same group of teenagers, man I sound old) broke into and made a mess of Nate's car. They stole his knife, his bicycle light, and his caffeinated gum that was 3 years old. Not the worst thing that could have happened, but still violating.
Happy Halloween!



No comments:
Post a Comment